Friday, October 15, 2010

Andrew Bird


http://troutli.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/andrew-bird-press.jpg

Andrew Bird is one of my absolute favorite artists, and is without a doubt one of the most unusual. My friend Vicky once name-dropped Bird, although she adamantly denies it, and I did some research. I decided he was pretty cool, but didn't give him a fair listen. It wasn't until Bird quite fortuitously came to Lehigh University my freshman year, that I realized the magnitude of his talent. He played a solo show, but still provided a full band sound. Using a looping technique, Andrew Bird layers his vocals, guitar, violin, etc., and creates his music - all by himself. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, I was so blown away. The second I left that show, I called everyone I knew to tell them about this guy. Two years later, I sat through 3 hours worth of sets at Bonnaroo just to get a good spot for Bird's performance. I am proud to report that I weaseled my 4'11" self to the front row - with thousands of people behind me - by the time Andrew went on!

Andrew Bird, professional vocalist, lyricist, violinist, guitarist, and whistler, is an indie-folk performer to be reckoned with. His voice is beautifully haunting, and his lyrics are smart, weird, and crafted to perfection. I almost lost it this summer when I found out that he released three albums on Rykodisc Records, where I interned, back in the 90s. I could go on and on about Andrew Bird, but you really just have to see for yourself. That means two videos, ladies and gentlemen!

Scythian Empires - Andrew Bird
Tables and Chairs - Andrew Bird

Nervous Tic Motion of the Head to the Left - Andrew Bird


Tenuousness - Andrew Bird

No comments:

Post a Comment